View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
David1965
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Newborn pups - one is lethargic

Hi everyone! This is my first post here so I'll try to make it a good one. A bit of history first.

My girlfriend and I 'rescued' a 3-year-old male Yorkie (Pepper) and a 4-year-old female Maltese around Thanksgiving of this past year, only to find out in December that the female was already 3 weeks pregnant. The Morkie puppies (8 of them!) were born on January 6th in the early evening. Seven of them are doing great. We have one female that is smaller than the rest and has me worried.

What we've done so far: We have tried to bottle feed puppy formula to Olive, but she doesn't seem interested in bottle feeding. She'll suckle the bottle for about 1 minute, then turns her head and closes her mouth. We have pulled her apart from the rest of the litter to nurse with the mother alone, and that has helped some, but even then, she'll nurse for a couple of minutes and then seem to lose interest. This lethargic behavior has been especially noticeable over the past 3-4 days.

I've decided to call a vet tomorrow and ask his or her opinion as to what to do, or if we need to bring Olive in. Anyway, if anyone has any experience with a difficult pup or has any advice, I'd appreciate the help!
David1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!