View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

First of all, I don't breed. It is my understanding that that breeding to "better the breed" is expensive. You have to first find a mentor, which it sounds like you have. Then, after learning all you can about reading pedigrees, knowing genetics, having assisted in whelps so that you can know what to do when you finally do breed, you find your breeders, usually with the help of your mentor. Now that you have your breeding potentials, you gotta make sure they conform to the standard and are the best of the best right? (All of this in order to better the breed) that's where dog showing comes in. Your pups get evaluated, and championed if they're good examples of the breed. The pups need to be vet checked, and I'm not talking general wellness exams. There are specific exams that need to be done. I forget the names, but the show breeders here can tell you.

Taking into consideration all if the above, the showing the traveling, the vetting, it all costs money. Most breeders break even after all is said and done. I know a lot of people come on here and say "you gotta start somewhere" when it comes to breeding. The above is the right way to start because you'll be doing right by the breed we all love. I'm sure one of the great breeders here will come on and correct or give you a ballpark figure when it comes to cost and whatnot.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!