View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiesatwork View Post
My four year old Max has 75% collapsing trachea and is being treated by the University of Georgia Vet School. One of his meds is an opiate elixir, and before I really noticed, he's developed really heavy, almost concrete like tarter on his front teeth right where I put the syringe in his mouth. He takes it twice a day. A month ago, I started using Peteze Tarter control gel on a tiny toothbrush twice a day. It seemed to help a lot at first, but we're at a stalemate. I've been reading about tooth scaling without anesthesia. Anyone out there tried that? Max has become very tolerant of my messing with his teeth. I use one of those tiny, single use toothbrushes, but I pop the mouthwash 'pearl' out of it first. Fits his tiny mouth perfectly. Should I continue to use the gel? Will it eventually clear his mouth? Would appreciate comments from folks who have solved the plaque problem without anesthesia.
I am also under the impression that dental cleanings without anesthesia are not an acceptable option. Though I would continue with your maintenance cleaning at home I think discussing options with your vet are the best bet. Best of luck
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!