View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger1978 View Post
I wouldn't even think about breeding them until they grew up and i knew what kind of temperament they had and if they had any kind of health issues or other issue.

To be honest I've been seriously considering showing them I'm just a little bit lost on what to do as I've never shown dogs before. I also don't know if its even worth going through all the work in case the pups develop faults as they grow. it could be a fun hobby though.

My breeder has been excellent though and is giving me all sorts of advice on how to train the pups. Whats confusing me is basic things like Ringcraft classes or which Yorkshire terrier club i should join, as I'm in no mans lands as far as Yorkshire terrier club area coverage goes.

Also in Merseyside where i am there are well over 20 Ringcraft training groups, i just don't know which one to join. Or even whether i should ignore the local groups and travel much further to get in to the best ringcraft classes for my pups. You see thats the sort of thing my breeder can't help with as they're on the other side of the country from me.

I am reading as much as i can I've got 3 Yorkshire terrier books a beginners guide book to show dogs. There's just so much information out there it's a bit overwhelming so any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
I think that in the early days it is best to just get out to a show handling class which is what I assume you mean by ringcraft. A toy breed focussed or run group might be a good selection, but you should be able to go out an audit a class before joining the group.
This is much homework to do at home, we start training of stacking (all fun training) when pups are quite young 8-10 wks old, stacking the pups on our lap, then on a table etc. Also grooming training.
Socialization and proper exercise are also key to the healthy development of any pup, but most especially a show pup.

Once my pups have had all their shots, part of their socialization will be going to a show just to be in the environment, get to hear smell etc, all the show sounds.

I do know that Europe does things differently to North America, but here we highly encourage breed specific health testing prior to breeding any champion dogs.

You did not say the age of your pups and or their weight at what ever age they are. I believe The Kennel Club still has as part of their standard a 7lb weight maximum, or approx. 3.2 kgs.

There is quite a lot to learn for sure, and it is overwhelming to all of us just starting out. Your mentor, your show/breed mentor should be able to guide you, if you truly want to start breeding to the betterment of the breed.

I don't want to dissuade you from a wonderfull path and hobby, but the show world can be a bit of a hard thing to navigate without a mentor, breeding correctly needs an experienced hand to guide you. Learn Learn all you can. There are many on line resource tools to help you understand the genetics, the COI, and what all that means. Learn structure, the correct structure for the YT, correct temperament/attitude, Learn all the Health problems inherent in this breed, learn how and where to test for them, coat and color, train your dogs in basic obedience, then there is the whole select the correct stud for your dog, and all you need to know about whelping.

You also need to get out to shows preferably with your mentor, and just observe ringside; Yorkies of course, but other breeds in the ring as well. You will get to see different handlers and how they present/show their dog.

I do remember my first big show that my young puppy and I were entered in, the ring steward (who I found out was also a judge), but was stewarding that day, after my obvious dismal performance with a very good dog, took me aside and said, would you like to learn? I said yes! She said come back and sit ringside. So I crated my boy, as fast as I could and spent 4 hrs ringside, while she pointed out the whys and which handlers to watch. After the show was over, she offered to give me some pointers in private with my dog. She took my boy in hand and showed me how "he" could show like a show dog. In fact I even said; oh my He Looks like a Show Boy; she turned to me with a Glare, and Said HE is A Show Boy!. LOL LOL. She took me through the correct pacing for my boy, the natural stacking ability he had, how to handle the lead in my hand, how to present my boy to show off his best attributes. Now I had been in the ring before, had group and private show lessons, prior to this first National Specialty I went to, but what I learned from her never ever was forgotten. Nor was her kindness in taking a novice in hand.

I do not know your background in breeding, if for example, you have bred other breeds before, but there is quite a bit to learn. Not always but often a new show person who would like to get into breeding, starts with one show male dog, that their breeder/mentor, has agreed to place with them. You learn the show world, and from the male stud owners perspective how to show/train, coach, and then eventually stud your dog out. Of course you learn how to look at pedigrees, how to evaluate other dogs in the ring, and all this goes into when you get your first show gal from a reputable breeder.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!