View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
yipyap
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 049 Dear Sleepless in Ontario,

You mentioned that your tiny, little guy was sleeping all by himself. Where are the rest of the pack? Are they all sleeping in separate crates, too? Maybe if he has a favorite 'pack buddie' they might sleep together..? Sounds like he's gotten lonely since he has finally realized your home is where he's going to stay now.
We only have one Yorkie, and he sleeps on a washable fuzzy dog bed that sits on my bed; I think our floors are too drafty, except in the summer. In the summer, Taffy often gives-up his dog bed and streches out on my bed's quilt in the corner near the open window's breeze. On cooler, rainy nights, he's right back in his dog bed. And if it's really hot upstairs, we roll in the portable airconditioner for me, then, he goes back to his dog bed, or under the covers with his head out to sleep.
When he was a puppy, he slept on my bed and would sometimes scoot under the covers if he was chilly and curl up with his back against me. (We did try a crate in the basement--my Husband's idea!--but Taff was so lonely down there, and so he wimpered & cried for hours! (Taff had always slept with his mom & brother before the both pups were sold.) Now, Mike's bedroom floor is Directly over the pup's circular pen and the bed crate that Mike had attached to the open ends of the pen in the basement. Taff Hated the cement basement; no one actually "lived there"; so, you know who got to hear all the puppy's noises...right, Daddy! Then, Mike finally suggested I take the pup back up to my bedroom. Ha! No more noises! Sleeping puppy! He curled-up next to me for security.(He only got up to use his pee pad--actually a plastic boot tray I got at WalMart store & put in lenths of newspapers in it.) Now that he is 3 years old, he very seldom ever uses that tray. He waits for me to take him outside to potty, so he can get his meat jerky treat!
The only sound Taff ever makes at night now is if he 'growls' if a skunk or a possum slips into the yard. Also, when Daddy drives home at nights around 12:30 a.m. from singing & playing guitar up at the National Park Lodge about 8--10 evenings per month (April through end of November). Then, Taffy barks! Even though he knows who it is! (I think this is more of an excited 'greeting barking' to be sure I know Daddy's home')) He goes down one flight of stairs to the little window on the stairway landing, looks out, and barks and 'howls' until he sees Mike open the kitchen door. (Mike taught Taff to 'howl' with him for his sports' teams homeruns & touchdowns, so Taffy usually adds in this little 'howl'--"Ooooooo!", to greet Mike at night! I have never heard other Yorkies "howl"; bark & yip, yes, but not howl.) Well, the two go through their greeting & pats in the kitchen. After Mike puts away his coat, guitar case, and heads to the restroom, Taffy scampers back up the two sets of stairs and is back on my bed, ready to curl up and sleep. When I was in the hospital or on a trip with 2 old college buddies, Mike let Taff sleep on his bed..Ha! He said sometimes Taffy would at first go back up to lay on my bed, and finally he didn't & stayed with Mike. (We do give Taff his heartworm and flea & tick meds, so we haven't had any problems with him bringing fleas or ticks inside, and I brush him daiy & give him baths in the tub on a rubber mat at home. Maybe you could try his crate by your bed? My friend's basset/corgi mix dog sleeps in a dog bed on the floor next to her. Did the puppy sleep in a little group pack at his original breeder's home?
yipyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!