View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Rainbows
Senior Yorkie Talker

Teeth Hi everyone! New to YT need advice!

Hi everyone, how are you? I'm new here here to yorkie talk and would like to introduce myself! My name is Heather, I live in south east England and I'm a new yorkie owner. I've never had my own doggie before, Rosie is my first ever puppy. Me and my husband just adore her, you can see pictures of her on her blog Rosietheyorkie.com where her pictures are updated every couple of days so family and friends can watch her grow! ( rosie is in my avatar too! ) I'm so sorry but this will be a bit of a long post...lol!
Just a note; she has a collar only on her for sake of the bell because she is so tiny we've almost stepped on her while walking so it let's us know she's there under our feet and we'll throw it out once she's bigger. She has a harness and a leash that we've been using around the house for practice walking when her vaccines are all done.

I am really new at everything, and am learning the best I can. I bought a book on yorkies which is really helpful but I'd love advice from you guys here! I have a couple questions regarding the training, and behavior of yorkie pups, I get a bit nervous at everything!

1. Right now she is being crate trained, but not entirely. When I first got her ( she's 11 weeks old now, I've had her for 2 weeks! ) she had free roam of the house. We have her crate on one side of the spare bathroom, and puppy pad and toys in there, and a baby gate to keep her from free roaming. She sleeps in her crate like a good girl, hasn't ever made a fuss about it I didn't even need to coax her into it she really loves the crate. She also has a couple puppy beds. She will pee pee on the potty pad but poop on the floor, as soon as she hits the pad, she immediatley pees on it but refuses to poopoo on it, is this normal? Do I put her on the pad when she's pooping? I have timed her potty breaks really well and usually she goes right when I expect, sometimes I have put her on the pad while she poos if I catch her in time, but she doesn't bother with it yet learned to pee on the pad, it's strange...!
Everytime she goes pee or poopoo on the pad I've always praised her, gave her snuggles and a treat. She will be an indoor potty trained puppy because I live in a top floor split level flat by the ocean and the grass I have in the front isn't fenced in.

2. Is it normal that she is feet hungry? She really goes after my husbands feet when he's walking around and it's her play time/free time after she goes potty and has earned walk of the house ( she stays right beside me now, no need for a leash around the waist! she even follows me into the bathroom when it's my turn to go lol...) Is this something she will grow out of? We got her to stop biting/nipping, she doesn't bark really only when she's very excited and wants something, it's just the feet thing...lol.

3. I plan on having her in a long coat, not show coat but longer than average. Her mum had really pretty long hair that the breeder had to cut because it got messy and matted easily from caring for the puppies and not being able to get groomed often while nursing lol I forgot to ask the breeder about grooming long hair. I know it requires a lot of upkeep but I look forward to it! When does their hair start coming in long, I've heard mixed opinions that it starts to get long at 6 months, some say after a year or two, I'm curious to know. I've been making her own dog bows as a hobby and want to know when I can start putting them to use!

4. What kind of toys do yorkies love? She has a squeaky ball, she thinks her brush is a toy, she has a few plushy toys and a squeaky stuffed puppy she likes to cuddle, but finding small enough toys is proving to be difficult! Should I invest in a kong? I hear about them but don't know what they are really or if it's good.

Any extra advice or tips is really appreciated and welcome! Thanks everyone, hope you're all having a wonderful bonfire night, remember remember the 5th of november!
Rainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!