Thread: I like fruit
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
rilysmom
Just me and Rily McGee
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McheleM View Post
I don't use a walking foot, and I don't back stitch. My machine has a fix stitch that I use sometimes, it's basically just does 2-3 stitches in the same spot and creates a little knot. The only time I use a reverse stitch is in my binding start, end and corners.

When I finish my quilt top, I stay stitch around the entire top about 1/8" in, and that keeps all my seams from coming apart. The binding will cover this line of stitching. Keep in mind though, I use a quilting table for the larger quilts and they get pulled and stretched, so I want to make sure none of my seams pull apart in that process. When I do smaller quilts, I use my machine and the fix stitch. I also free motion quilt a lot.

The reason not to reverse with the walking foot is because the teeth in it don't know how to reverse like the feed dogs (bottom) do.
Thanks, Michelle. I wish I had a quilting table and a long-arm quilting machine. My machine doesn't have a fix/lock stitch, so I just started stitching in the same spot for 4-5 times and leaving my thread tails. Then I tie then off and bury them. Thanks for your help.
PS. Hope you will post pictures of your fruit/farmer's market quilt. That is a great idea!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!