View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Only you know what you can handle. There is no reason for you to be there during the surgery unless you want to be. You can leave the OR after they are under and come back in when the vet closes. It is a matter of what you want.

My opinion is that the first major veterinary surgery witnessed should not be on your own pets. I've been present for many surgeries and there is no way I could have stood it if the first one was on my dog. It took awhile for me to get used to the hacking sound when intubating, the severe reverse sneezing or fighting or screaming when waking up, the fact that they are tied down, the stats changing sometimes, the slim chance that extreme measures need to be taken, etc. So if you want an opinion mine is that if this is important to you then ask to watch another spay before deciding.
Based on my experience with human surgery, I agree. I was okay with seeing surgery on people outside of my family. It's too emotional when the person on the table or in a crisis is someone I love.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!