View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
ppastry
Yorkie Yakker

We have had Winston for one month now. He is 16 weeks old. I wanted to puppy pad train him so got a crate big enough to put his bed on one end and the puppy pad on the other. Kind of like the Puppy Apartment idea. It has two doors so he can go in and lay down for a nap and also another door so he can go to the bathroom. He now goes on demand after I lock him in for a bit and tell him make peeps. He waits for the treats and is praised and cuddled. I just can't get him to go in on his own and potty. He will go everywhere else but inside his potty spot. It is so hard to catch him in the act as you can't see him squat down to do it. I really am trying to be patient and am happy that he goes when I ask him. I am just getting a little discouraged that he won't go on his own once in a while. I think he may have done that twice in a month. I don't know what else to try. I am wondering if I made a mistake training him like this and not taking him outside. We travel in the winter out of the country and I didn't want to take him outdoors to potty so thought this would be a good way to train him. I also have a concrete patio area with a pool and hate the smell of urine in the summer when it gets hot so thought again this would be a good idea. I am so tired of reading but keep coming back to see if I missed anything. Should I keep doing this the same way? Or should I take the puppy pad out of his crate and leave it on the floor in front of it or in another spot. Problem is in another spot I can't keep him confined there to go.
ppastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!