Thread: Scared pup
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Tibbe used to go through things like that all the time. He'd hear a single very loud or sudden noise and seem to get over it but be jumpy for the rest of the day. Now that he's in good health, that hardly ever happens but when he was feeling bad with his MVD issues, he had lots of bouts of that like he had when I first got him.

I finally got him a Thundershirt and that would put him to sleep. I would say "Relax" as I was closing it on his body and helping him settle and lie down. For some reason he would usually just lie down(he doesn't like wearing clothing so he just goes down) and then he'd be asleep very quickly as I was over and over saying "Reeeeee - lax" slowly. Before I got the Thundershirt, I would get him busy chasing a ball or doing his training to keep him distracted. Teaching him a new trick worked pretty well, too. Finally it got to the point that just the word "Relax" worked as well as the shirt itself.

Once he got rid of the toxins from his poor handling of proteins due to his MVD, he doesn't have those jumpy days where a loud sound sets him off for the whole day. He'll hear a sound, may/may not jump but then goes on with his day now, maybe a little extra alert for an hour or so but that's all. Sometimes just telling him to relax will make him lie down and let himself go to sleep. He's back to acting like he was before he had a year or two of bad symptoms and return of his panic attacks like when I first got him.

Hope you can find some ways to help Joel through this if it begins to affect his happiness. Feel better, Joel!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!