View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyLavery View Post
An xray will not guarantee number of puppies at all some could be hiding...doesnt tell me if they are alive or dead etc...my vet even told me yorkies have no problem delivering and the male was only 2.5 pounds she should have a easy labor he was half her size.
You are probably right....but I did want to let you know I am not a newbie at this! I have been researching and studying Yorkies since 1976, doing breeding for a little over 12 years, and have whelped between 32 -40 litters. When I decided to breed Yorkies, I made certain I selected vets that specialized in small dogs, especially Yorkies,....I have been fortunate enough to have vets that can read xrays pretty well, and are very knowledgable in exposure so the xrays, 9 times out of 10 are very clear and accurate, and if they miss count at all, it is usually by one. We always shoot from several angles....no pups can hide from that.... Of course, my vet does not do xrays to determine viability...I also do ultra sounds at 6 weeks of pregnancy....she also listens with a doppler and can determine if the babies are alive by counting heart beats, but they are usually very active and even I can feel them moving around! BTW, Yorkies are notorious for having problems with delivering puppies. And, just FYI, the size of the babies is determined by the pedigrees of BOTH the parents, going back as much as 12 generations, and not just the sire of the litter. I am praying you have a wonderful large litter, because your female has almost doubled in weight.....lets pray that is 6-7 small babies and not 2- 3 HUGE pups! Hopefully, you DID measure her pelvic ring so you will have an idea of the size of pups she can pass.....nope never mind...that is done with calipers on xray.

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 07-01-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!