View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #25
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
I think about it all the time. And I think that it is way past time to find out how de-sexing dogs at varying ages affects their health. Pure and simple.

I don't feed kibble have not for over 6 years. I go to a vet nutritionist and I home feed.

I titer and don't over vaccinate; and yes I try to be up on the latest research on vaccinosis.

Now how about you think about this. What if every early (5-6wk old) 5way or 6way vaccines, coupled with a predisposition to MVD actually was the culprit in expression of MVD. Just how long does the liver actually take to mature? Are the cells still susceptible to change? We now know plasticity of cells longevity is much much longer than science ever thought. Change that affects the dogs overhealth and longevity?

So there is much food for thought....
There is fact and there is opinion. The fact is that the breeding and genetic garbage pool affecting these dogs is mostly the problem. I can't say my dog tore a ligament because he was early neutered when at the same time he was bred with grade 2-3 MPLs that gave rise to the perfect set of anatomical circumstances to tear that ligament when jumping off a bed and landing on hard wood. I can't say home cooking using local organic ingredients has created longevity and youthfulness in my 13-year old dogs when I spend a ton on preventative vet care, training, and the like. And I can't say my dog has MVD from a vaccine when the dog was not in sale able condition when I took her home and she was frail and sickly. And I can't say that one dog has not needed a dental more than once in 13 years because of my good home care and nutrition when everyone else eating the same diet needs dental more often. I think it is genetics all the way.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!