View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #20
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Yes I know that research is not current, which is why I stated so in my posting.
And I am aware of the lag time in getting research published, as well as peer reviewed.

There are even as we speak many on-going studies being done, 10,000 Golden Retriever study ; at least one goal is to find out why 1 in 5 goldens die at avg age of 8yrs from hemangiosarcomas. And there is already in existence studies that show a significantly higher incident rate in especially spayed females; spayed at any age.

I am for all well conducted research that informs our knowledge of how we keep our canine companions healthy. Even if that flies in the face of what historically has been done.

I am for a medical profession that queries their policies and procedures intelligently. And keeps current with the newest of findings.

Whether Europe is behind us or ahead of us only time will tell as all the research comes in. And speaking of hemangiosarcoma at a vet symposium, my vet was talking to another European vet about a sad case he just ddx'd prior to the symposium of a 5yr old female with this cancer. How it was the 8th dog that year (six months into the year) he had to give this bad news to the owner. Wow the European vet said, in my 25 years of practice I have not seen that yet.....

So there are many things we need. Get the vets out of the 19th century with affordable health reporting software. Get a National Registry where automatically all conditions are reported in. Get the breed determined through either a DNA Mars test or like - registered pedigrees for dogs et al.

Let us get some nationwide accurate health reporting at the source! The vets office(s). Make it easy for them to fill out as part of their health record keeping requirements.

And lets educate the public on all aspects of dog husbandry. Yeah I know an old fashioned term but kind of apt!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!