View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intilis View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I will definetely try the bread idea! We adopted Stanley when he was almost a year old. He's 2 1/2 now. I've been trying to slowly socialize him, but he gets so stressed out he just shuts down. I do try to walk him daily, but usually only in the evening because he's small & cute so people tend to "rush" him when they see him. I personally alway ask if it's OK before petting a strange dog, but many people don't. I've had several bad experiences where he was really freaked out by strangers reaching for him before I could stop them.

I feel like I've made lots of progress getting him used to being in new places (with no people around), but it's time to start going to populated places (slowly of course). My vet recommended using a natural calming remedy to make it less stressful & scary for him. The only one I know of is Rescue Remedy, but I really don't like the liquid form. I plan on trying the bread idea, but would still be interested in hearing of anyones experiences with other products.
A product called "Happy Traveler" from Ark Naturals is another one you can try. Ark Naturals Happy Traveler Dog Anxiety Remedy

I haven't tried it with my own dogs, so I can't share any personal experience with it.

I can relate to the problems caused by people rushing up to your dog. It ruined my Teddy. He was perfectly trained when we brought him home at 8 months, but people would run at him with their arms out like they were going to scoop him up. Often they would "scream" or squeal with delight, which made it twice as frightening for Teddy. I think he feared that he would be taken away from his new home and family. He is fine as long as people approach him calmly and don't invade his personal space.

I can't blame these little guys for being afraid of people acting a little crazy or shoving hands at them.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!