View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
spiritwings1202
Pixie and Daisy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiedaze View Post
I know it's hard not to want to talk to him or go back to him when he acts out but the worst thing you can do is nurture neurotic behavior. When you come or go, don't make an issue and don't say anything to him coming or going. Everything should be nonchalant. Wait till he's calm down to pet and talk to him, but not in an excited way.
Absolutely true!!! Pixie had bad separation anxiety when we moved and I bought her a thunder shirt. I also did this.... I would limit her area with a pet gate keeping her in the living room. I would leave the tv on and bf I left I would give her a treat and say I'll be back be a good girl. The first week I was there I would leave very calmly for about 5 min and then come back. I did this about 6 times a day for about a week. Each time it get better and better. Now I can leave no problem I use the same routine and calmly walk out. When I come home I don't make a big deal. They pick up on our emotions so it is very important to stay calm no matter what they do. I did hire a professional pet sitter and if I am going to be longer than 4 hrs she comes over and walks them. I hope I shedded some light for ya I know they have a way of making you feel so guilty
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!