View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneysmommmy View Post
The following link is an ad that I have seen near my home town. I know nothing personally about them. However, from looking at their website, it appears that this family follows the important breeding "rules". They do not allow buyers to have breeding rights. They only sell yorkies. It appears that their yorkies are well cared for.

Home
I've seen this ad before, this is a commercial breeder, the cute little puppy house you see, is actually their store front for selling puppies. It's on their property and you can do a google earth and see their other commercial buildings that are not so cute. Another red flag is that they will sell you the puppy directly from their website, this means that they are much like a pet store and don't care where they dogs go. A good breeder needs to know she's placing her puppies in permenant homes, and you should have to jump through a few hoops to prove it. Another clue is they are registered with APRL, this is the registry that commercial breeders use, many commercial breeders have been thrown out of the AKC because they have violated record keeping rules or state laws regarding kennel conditions. There are other registries which in my opinion are worthless, that will register their dogs, please avoid breeders who aren’t registered with the AKC or the comparable Canadian kennel Club, (CKC) however beware there’s also a Continental Kennel Club, (CKC) which is worthless.

To the OP, I always recommend someone check with a breeder on the YTCA website, the YTCA is the mother club for Yorkies and their breeders are dedicated to preserving and improving the breed. You still have to know what qualities to look for to be sure the breeder isn't just in it for the money, but it's a good place to start and many states have YTCA breeders so you can go to the home personally and investigate the conditions of the breeding dogs. Right now their referral website is down, but you can check back in a few days or contact them here. The Yorkshire Terrier Club of America

Join today and remove this ad!