View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

It is very good that you are trying to get her used to being without you for a couple of hours a day.

If you have a suitable surface and space in the main living areas of your house, I would get an ex pen a kiddy play pen is fine, and have her in there where she can feel safe, has her potty pads (if you are using those) and water and a bit of her total food allowance for the day.

The idea is she can hear, smell, see, catch glimpses of you as you cook, clean, talk on the phone etc. On your way through your day, if she is quiet randomly walk over and praise her for her quietness and give a treat and a pet.

Now you might know the expression used for human kids, of spending Quality time with them. This is what you want to do with your pup.

When you bring her out of the Xpen, do some high valued things with her. Treats, pets, walks, play with toys, go outside to pee and or poo. 100% of your attention is focused on her then. Love her all over.

Without fuss or muss when play time is over back into the pen she goes, with a what a good girl - Moms needs to work now - or what ever phrase you would like to signal you are off to do stuff.

You haven't mentioned potty training, but the early days of a pups life, can be hard on the owner. We usually get bleary eyed as small bladders need to go out at night. Well I outdoor train all my dogs. and during the day they need frequent every 2hrs or so, that can be spread out as they grow up

Let us know if you have other questions, or if what I/we responded is unclear to you.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!