View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Poop Eating can be hard to deal with. There are many different ways to work with a dogs. Some things work well for one dog and one trainer and not so well for another dog and trainer. Being flexible is important for trainers who want to be a positive problem solver. You have been given some good advice about things you can try with your puppy. Please don't let your dog eat any poop, his or from other animals. My girl Gracie ate an owl pellet and had to have surgery to repair a blockage in her intestines. If the calm passive correction approach does not stop the poop eating, you might want to try this method outlined below. My Yorkies know my face, they read positive or negative expressions quite well.

It is ok to show your discuss at the poop eating or carrying. I give the cue word 'LEAVE IT !' I make gaging sounds and pick it up and go straight to the toilet with it
saying Nasty, Nasty. I do the same thing on walks, cue Leave It and Nasty, Nasty. Yorkies read human facial expressions so well, they know the difference between anger and this is a bad thing, expression. The 'this is a bad thing' expression means no reward for doing this poop carrying thing at all. I carry the offender into the bathroom with me and the poop. I flush the poop then sit the offender on the counter and use a wet wipe to wash their face and mouth. then I put them down and ignore them for awhile. Often the offender will slink off head down and hide for a few minuets. They are not afraid of Mommy just confused. After a time or two they know poop carrying means no reward at all. Usually they stop doing it. Right now poop carrying does have a reward a chasing game and excitement. Be consistent. Do try to pick up poop ASAP.
Many, many dogs like to roll in smelly things, dead things,smashed bugs, animal poop, and pee. Why ? There are a lot of theories, which still don't answer the question of how do I get them to stop ? ! I use the cue Nasty, Nasty when caught in the act. And/or you can squirt them with a blast of water. Many pups out grow laying on and rubbing/ rolling on their pee-pad. I did have on stubborn
foster boy had to potty train him to go outside only. I had to block his access to the pee-pads. Hope this will give you some ideas. Hugs

Last edited by Teresa Ford; 03-30-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Teresa Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!