View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

She's sneaky because she knows it upsets you. The poop isn't disgusting to puppies, young dogs and even some grown dogs but if you will shoo her away with an "oh on" or "no" and give her something fun to play with, in time and knowing you are going to come stop her and have that look on your face and tell her no, she will eventually get the message and stop it on her own. One of the theories is that they eat it for the falderal that it causes - the eeewww's and the yucks! and all the carrying on we do - such excitement and attention - it is a certain and sure way to get a human right to them with a lot of energy amped up to boot. Dogs just love excitement - even if its bad excitement - for a time. But over the long haul, they do learn that with that excitement you are usually there to nip it in the bud and act all unhappy and stay away from them afterward and no kisses or close-up play and they really do learn that it is in their best interest to keep us happy with them. They really do learn that in time and try to adjust themselves to stay away from what we disagree with and makes us avoid them.

If you just walk over and stop the behavior with a "no" without a fuss, redirect her and take it away to the toilet, she will soon think "what's the point - she's just going to stop me every single time anyway and no party here".

A lot of people say the pineapple works for them and it is worth a try. Most dogs stop doing this once it loses its novelty and we stop them time after time in addition, which begins to discourage the behavior. Besides, more mature dogs usually have no interest in it. I have never had an adult dog eat poop or hide it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!