Thread: bunnies
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadabug View Post
There was a news report on our local station, the large animal shelter in Knoxville Young-Williams Animal Centerwas pleading with consumers not to buy bunnies for Easter gifts. The shelter has lots of bunnies that are surrendered.

poor bunnies and at least it is a no kill shelter

Adopt Other Animals

I will admit to buying baby chicks for my boys at Easter years ago. We raised them in the house until big enough to go out with the grown hens. But we live on a farm and they lived out their lives in the hen house with the other chickens and roosters.
Your situation is different. Sadly, my "toy" animals were bought for me to play with as pets but no one really supervised me much with them if I buried the duck! The bunny we did keep for well over a year and it got quite large and that next Easter he had a birthday party. He was black and white and I trained him to come to me when I called his name - Peter Rabbit. Original. Everytime the fridge door opened, Peter Rabbit would also come hopping from wherever he was in the house and get a piece of lettuce or carrot or apple chunks we kept in his treat bowl in the fridge. My mom had pictures of him stretching up to get his treat from me with the fridge door open in the background and many other pix. Once when I wouldn't let him go when he wanted down, he bit me quite deeply and my mom made my dad take him off. Daddy and mother had friends in McKinney, Texas who lived on a farm where they got our dairy and eggs sometimes - fresh from the farm and we would drive up there often to stay with them and come back with farm-fresh butter, cream(which my father alone would drink un-pasteurized - yuck!) and eggs. Anyway, we put him in his cage - all crying - and said goodbye; and Daddy drove him to the farm to live. I cried and cried but my dog, a red Pekingese, licked my tears and made it better. I think that kind of taught my parents no more animals for Easter. We all talked about Peter Rabbit and I felt guilty for a long time for causing Peter Rabbit to have to go to the farm because he bit me!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!