View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #8
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie merlino
Are there any other factors you are taking into account in your decision to Breed you female? No she's not too old and no the male isn't too young, but
are you considering anything else like Pedigree/Bloodline, faults/recessive genes that you should breed out? Height and weights of both the male and your female? I am amazed at your non-chalant attitude towards Breeding, as if it's that easy? I'm not trying to insult you but there are a lot of other things to think about than just her age. Realistically there are a lot of people who have this Breed and love their Dogs, but I don't believe every dog should be bred just based on your love of them. There's a Breed Standard, there's confirmation; straight back, straight teeth, small ears, weight in proportion to height? It takes a lot of research etc. Money and experience, not to mention the time and effort!
Let me get off my soap box now. I've said enough, it's a sore issue with me since I have seen so many dogs poorly bred.
Please don't take this wrong. I am not trying to insult you either, but your post has given me the perfect opportunity to ask a question I have been wondering about if I can think of the proper way to phrase it. I'll give it a try.

Why are some people who own yorkies, especially pet quality yorkies, not "show breeders", so concerned about the casual breeding habits of others? I read what you said about "so many dogs being poorly bred" and for some reason I automatically jump to an analogy regarding people. What if we said that about people? It would be considered rude, and possibly discriminatory, to claim that people were "poorly bred" because they were too short, they weigh too much, their teeth are not straight, or anything else about their outward appearance. Even their personalities or temperaments are not the proper subject. It would be unheard of or at least improper to say that a person should not procreate because they are shy or they are aggressive, etc.

Obviously, I understand that dogs are dogs and people are people (despite how some of us feel about our furbabies), but dogs are "property" under the law and it is your right to breed them if you want to and to whatever dog you want to. Just as I would never tell a friends daughter not to marry or have children with some guy because I didn't feel it would be appropriate for him to have children, I wouldn't think to tell someone else not to breed their dog or what dog to breed them to.

I also understand the health issues involved in the size difference between the dogs and the hereditary "defects" which should be avoided, but as even the breeding experts on this forum will verify, even a DNA test is no guarantee that you are going to avoid some of these condtions by not breeding.

I also know that there are a lot of unwanted dogs in shelters just as there are unwanted and abandoned children in the world, but I still do not think that gives others the right to tell people they should "adopt" rather than procreate and have their own.

I also understand why the "show" breeders don't like the casual breeders, but the majority of the people who own and love yorkies do not care about conformation, faults, recessive genes and the breed standard in general. They care about temperament, health and sharing a happy puppy with others who want a fun pet.

I think some breeders spend more time and money before breeding their dogs than they do before deciding to have a child. I mean scientists are just starting to consider DNA testing on people to avoid certain genetic defects but they have been doing it in animals for years. Does that mean we have a "non chalant attitude" toward having kids as your post would imply?

I just find all of this very curious and wondered what others thought.

Now, I will go duck for cover....No poison darts please!

Last edited by SoCalyorkiLvr; 04-16-2005 at 04:06 PM.
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!