View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #14
bobohyde
Donating YT Addict

I am so sorry to hear about Bo. I understand what you are feeling and going through. Columbo was just diagnosed with PLE, but his is severe IBD. We are fortunate it had not yet progressed to lymphangectasia, although some of his villi looked to be headed in that direction. Fortunately, he is responding to his steroid & antibiotic treatment so far. We almost lost him 3 weeks ago when his albumin level dropped so low he had a pleural effusion. Before that, we didn't know he was ill. LadyJane may have already told you, but she posted a link on another thread to the vet nutritionists in the country. There are 2 in my state and they are located at the vet school. There are propably some in Tennessee, but you could do a phone consult with one in any state. If Columbo stops eating his prescription food, I will contact one. The phone consult looked very reasonably priced, maybe only around $50. Columbo has been on Purina EN for the past 3 weeks, but the internist has ordered a new food for him that should be in today. I don't know what it is yet, other than it is hypoallergenic and venison based. She said the Purina EN is very bland & easy on the intestines, but similar to a chicken & rice diet nutritionally, so she is attempting to find a novel protein diet for him. Columbo is on a pretty high dose of steroids and it has given him a big appetite. He was taking 10mg a day, but on Monday, she reduced it to 7.5mg a day. Before that, he had stopped eating when he had the fluid. He also gets the B12 shots. He's lost close to 2lbs, but not as quickly as Bo has. Fortunately, Columbo wasn't skinny to begin with. Have you looked into any local groups in your area that can help with vet bill assistance? There is one not far from us called the Mosby Foundation that is wonderful. There is a link on Yorkie Talk to some groups, as well. It sounds like your vet is doing everything he can, but I know seeing an internist was a godsend for Columbo. I am praying that Bo can get this disease under control.
bobohyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!