View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
DianeSch
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Love Hi-Introducing Myself!

Hi Everyone - I have been coming to Yorkie Talk for a number of years for advice and thought that the time has come to become an active member. I really value this forum as a place to go for advice. A little about myself - I have been a yorkie mama for about 9 years. My husband and myself are also great German Shepherd Lovers and about 11 years ago we purchased a purebred show quality German Shepherd and she was the love of our entire family and neighborhood. Our Shepherd bonded with my husband and went everywhere with him (including work everyday). I wanted my own "lap dog" and our vet recommended a Yorkie because of their big dog personality and she felt that this little bundle would fit in with our Shepherd. So about 9 years ago I brought Cosmo home. He is a 6 1/2 lb traditional yorkie that took over our hearts and our home. We bred and raised shepherd pups but after 6 years we lost our shepherd to a stroke and it broke our hearts - but Cosmo was their and he was a great help in our therapy - even though he also had lost a good friend. After a bit of time we brought another Show quality Shepherd but to after a couple of years we lost her to a very rare seizure problem. We were heartbroken and so was Cosmo - SO that is how we brought Zoey into our home. Cosmo was so lost without a friend at home and we were to heartbroken to bring another Shepherd home at that time so I decided to get Cosmo a little girl yorkie as a companion. So 2 years ago I went back to the same breeder that I got Cosmo from - because I so loved everything about him - and came home with my little girl Zoey. She was a hit from the start. While there to pick up Zoey when we were bringing her home - our breeder was starting to breed both the traditional and the parti yorkies. She had a little boy there that was just a peanut and walked right up to my husband and he fell in love. I informed them that we already had our boy and our breeded said that she was going to keep this little boy with her as a stud. My husband said that if she decided to not keep him to call us first. Well we went home and for a few weeks and the telephone rang and it was the breeder that had decided to not keep the litter after all- due to some family issues - and said that she was giving up first choice on our Reno. I said that we were happy with our two but my husband wanted to go and look and I knew....... Anyway when we went - here was this tiny little parti yorkie and my husband was in love. She was asking top dollar because of his coloring, size, personality, etc and I told her that I didn't think we could afford a 3rd dog so soon. She suggested to me - since I bred German Shepherds, why didn't I try my hand at breeding the yorkie and that Reno was of no relation to Zoey by girl. Anyway after much consideration that is what I thought we might do and we came home with Reno. He is a parti color little stud and is now almost two years old and weighs in at a bit 2 lbs 6 ozs. Talk about a little peanut with a big personality. But we were in love. I mentioned to the breeder that if I was going to try my hand at this that if she ever had a great coloring parti female of no relation to my Reno to give me a call. She did after about a year and now we have Kyra also. She is my parti female and she didn't get as big as I was hoping (5 lbs) to bred - she is currently 3 lbs 1 oz at a little over a year. She has a personality and looks like she is smiling all the time. Her coat is the thickest coat I have ever seen on a yorkie. I recently took them all to the vet for shots, check-ups and I was afraid that breeding her at around 3 1/2 pounds would be to small but our vet thinks it would be fine because our male is only 2.6 lbs. I have waited the two years to make sure that my dogs have the maturity level and to make sure that there are no health issues so I just bred Zoey and Reno together. This Friday Zoey will go in for an ultrasound since this will be my first "little" dog whelping and I am a little nervous about the delicate nature of these small pups. But it is exciting at our house. I told my kids that the size of our dogs full grown are the size of our Shepherd pups when we were breeding them. So - besides my 6 kids and 3 grandkids - that is our family. With the new pups coming I am hoping that I will be able to get advice from all of you out there. I so love this bred of dog and my biggest fear and that of not being able to adopt the pups out and wanting to keep them ourselves - but I told the kids we are going to be strong. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to join this community.
DianeSch is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!