View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #15
Lisa and Pic
♥ Piccolo & Vivi ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissaYSU View Post
I was at PetSmart the other day to pick up some bones and I had a thing of rawhide bones. I had lil Bubba with me and a worker had seen me carrying the bones and Bubba and asked if I was buying those for him. I told her yah and she told me that regular rawhide bones are bad for small breeds...the rawhide can expand in them and cause all kinds of health problems...she told me to get the compressed rawhide bones...and I did...has anyone ever heard of rawhide bones being harmful for small breeds? We always gave them to Tyke and he was fine with them...certainly won't be giving anymore of them to either dogs. I don't understand how regular rawhide bones can be bad...but yet the compressed rawhide bones are ok...I mean...aren't they still made of rawhide??

--Sissa
I used to give Piccolo rawhide bones before I found YT or knew any better. All the rawhide chews at Petsmart look so inviting and I thought I was being a good pet owner and spoiling Piccolo a little.

But she about died choking one night on a piece of rawhide, and I was very lucky to clear her airway. So, from personal experience, I would never ever recommend rawhide to any pet owner.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!