Thread: Help! please
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
CaspersPrincess
Yorkie Yakker

Unhappy Help! please

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a while, things have been crazy we moved and been really busy. Empanada is now 8yrs old and weighs 8lbs. I hope someone has gone thought what Empanada and I are now going though. I don't know what to do. Monday he was playing on the bed, he dropped his puppy and jumped off to get it. When he jumped he hit his stairs that go to bed. It was so sad he screamed I ran in and he was limping. I took him to the vet Monday night because I was worried he broke his leg or something worse. They didn't do much except pull on his leg made him scream again gave him Rimadyl and told me to come back on Wednesday they would do x-rays. Last night I took him back and he has torn ACL (back of my mind I was thinking they might have hurt him more Monday when they pulled it) I found out last year he has a luxating patella but they said it was nothing to worry about because it wasn't that bad. His vet is saying he needs ACL surgery it will cost about 2,500.00 but then he said that it would probably heal on its own but then listed off everything that could go wrong later on, so now I dont know what to do. I'm wondering if it does heal on its own how does that affect the luxating patella or can the acl even get better without surgery? I have talked to another vet they said they dont normally do surgery on small dogs because almost 99% heal without surgery. I have carried him around for the last 3 days so he doesn't get tired he only goes outside to the bathroom then hes back in his bed (on the floor) or in my arms. They gave him Tramadol yesterday along with the Rimadyl so he seems to be doing better he never really showed he was in pain except right when it happened. I can tell the meds are helping because today I walked in an he was trying to "play" with his stuffed puppy. So ok after all this, questions is what do I do? I have one vet I really feel is out for $ because they were trying to make me give him liquid meds and I told them he wont take it he likes pills, they kinda got mad and was like fine. I didn't know at the time but price difference was 10.00 for pills and 100.00 for liquid, I think that's why they were mad because they just want $.We are looking for a new vet we will never take him back there again. The other vet says he would be ok without surgery. Sorry for rambling I just want help if anyone has been though this how did it go? Did you do surgery or wait it out. Thanks for listening I'm going crazy here.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!