View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresiana View Post
Thanks so much for all of your tips! I'm going to try all of those suggestions. I've also searched the forum & seen a lot of advice you've given other people in similar situations.

Both of them have dragged each other across the living room by ear and/or by mustache before! It's a little frightening, isn't it?? They haven't drawn blood yet, but I don't even want to get to that point. So I suppose I my goal would be to lessen the growling & no injuries, blood or no blood.

In a perfect world, I'd love to have them a closer relationship than just tolerating each other. But I'm not going to force that if it isn't meant to be. I'll keep a close eye on them, watch how they interact, step in when I need to, try those tips & redirect, redirect & redirect.

Thank you!!!
I would also suggest to keep a diary or journal for notes of the behaviors, corrections and results. It could prove very helpful (along with any video) to your vet and behaviorist.

Also, I randomly reward good behavior with praise and/or a treat. For some unknown reason, my dogs understand more of what I want them to do when I reward them for being good, rather than always just trying to discourage the bad behavior. Like if two are just laying together being good, I'll choose that moment to tell them they are good dogs, and stop and pet them or give them a Cheerio or two! (This has worked great with the grandkids too...lol.)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!