View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
DBlain
Donating YT Addict

Lola is a potty bell ringer and 100% housebroken. I also went through the same thing, just ringing to go outside. This is what I did, after coming back inside from doing a good potty I would tie the bell up out of her reach and set the kitchen timer for an hour. Then take it down when the timer rang, as she started to hold herself longer the bell stayed up longer, the key is to set an alarm so you do not forget. Also some other things that seem to help are, first I don't wait around, I go with the leash and do not give her lots of room or time, and then wham as soon as she goes it's right back inside. Call me mean but we never play or waste time after or before potty, it's always right back inside. Therefore she gets the message ringing the bell was to potty not to play. Secondly I also say the same potty commands over and over and always as we go out the door after she rang the bell. I say Lola go potty in a command voice. I also say good girl Lola went pee or Lola went poop and I know she understands what the words mean because often when she goes out to poop she will not pee and then I keep saying Lola go pee, Lola go pee and she finally squats down. This is great when you are in a hurry. Thirdly we go out to potty and go out to play through different doors. I prefer she do her business at home, so before a walk we go out to potty via the front door, then come back in, she gets a treat and then we exit through the side door. Since you live in an apartment that will probably not work for you, but you could still come back inside get a treat and then go out. Another thing you could try is when going out to potty is to carry your dog to the potty spot and not let him enjoy the walk to and fro, save that for play time and walks.

I no longer tie the bell up so once in a while she will ring it shortly after she goes out, if she had peed but not pooped in a while then I take her out again, however if she has done both then I ignore her because I know her habits and that she can hold herself. My friend has a larger dog and it's the same thing, the dog is about 6 and can hold herself for a good 7 hours so if she starts ringing it right after she has gone she is ignored as well. But belive me if Lola really has to go and I ignore her she bats the crap out of the bell and does not give up. I realize you are not there yet but you sound determined so you will get there.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!