View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I would not use the crate for time outs because the crate is supposed to be your dog's safe place, not a punishment.

I also would not give time outs for going outside and not going potty. Your dog will not understand why he is being crated.

My guys live to go outside. It is their favorite thing in the world and they can't wait for their big outings.

Try to balance potty training with the understanding that your boy loves going outside. Start a daily routine of having a longer period outdoors at a specific time and your boy will start to anticipate that daily and not be so anxious to get outside all day long. My boys know they are going to get their big walk at a certain time in the afternoon and they anticipate it the same way they do their meals. Then they aren't as anxious wondering when they will ever get out.

REally love this suggestion. Regular walks at approximately regular times is a life saver for active pups!
And I know sometimes life gets in the way, and we are 1/2 hr later or earlier, or weather is extreme, etc. But dogs just love to go on walks; all dogs do.

It does sound to me like your pup is starting to use the bell to get outside more often. Take him on walks more, and tire him out! Razzle if I don't cause it's too rainey or cold walk hiim, will ring his bell constantly! He believes he thinks he "sees" something in the backyard and really really really needs to go outside to chase it. Magic on the other hand who used to ring the bell for potty, now thinks he is too old and manly to do what the scamp does, he now just stands by the patio door, and will look back at me; once in a while he will give a very brief and gentle ring if I happen to be in the kitchen so I can't see him....

My rule is I let out on two consecutive rings, ie twice, the third time is a nope not going out!. Particularly if I know they have done their business a couple times already.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!