View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Absolutely agree with this.

I finally decided when I start housebreaking I just take 2 weeks and devote it to this task when I'm home and take the dog out every 30 minutes. Inside, he's watched like a hawk for "warning" behavior of needing to go and taken out immediately if he shows any and crated if I have to leave the room or house. Eventually you can extend the frequency of how often you take them out but that initial going out all of the time soon gets in their mind that if they can be going out soon where they can leave their scent out there where all other dogs and cats can "enjoy" it, just hold it until the few minutes pass until they are out there again. It does make for a good foundation though it is exhausting. It sure gets it in the dog's mind that outside is the place to "go" and by holding themselves back inside, it will soon be time to go out again. But you have to be persistent and watchful and keep them from having "accidents" in the house to further reinforce this. I was working when I got each of my last 2 Yorkies so I could only do that schedule when home but they very soon learned that when Mommie is home, we go outside all the time at first.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!