View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Kenneth62
Yorkie Talker

Default Times outs in crate good idea?

I have good new and bad news.
My Yorkie, Rider, is 6 months old and I have been crate training him for 2 months. Initially he was having some accidents in his crate occasionally even though I was taking him out freqently and giving him at least 5 minutes to do his thing. He now is not having problems in his crate and he sleeps in it at night.
I am finally getting him fairly housebroke by ringing bell on door knob to go out. Now my problem is that when I am home he wants to go out every 2-5 minutes on a average. Many times he squats like he is going but upon close inspection no pee many times or he just seems to be trying to find scents in the grass (I live in an apt. complex) Sometimes he will get pieces of dead grass to chew on which I try to promptly remove.
A fellow suggested that when he does not go after he rings the bell, that upon coming back in I put him in his crate for a time out for about 5 minutes. He does not like this (when I am home and whines) He is about to wear me out with the freqent trips outside but I always try to give him the benifit of the doubt and take him anyway as I don't want mistakes in the house.
Question should I just be persistant and continue these time outs or is there a better way.
P.S. when I am home I try to keep him anchored one a retractable leash in the living room where he can play but I can monitor him more closely.
Thanks for any advice in advance.
Kenneth62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!