View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Carmen you have such a big heart! And of course you made the right decision for this puppy at this time.

It may come about through your breeder friends that they have an older dog they would like to place; and voila you have already been to the home and met the woman.

And I think for this woman a smaller dog is best. Even with a walker, she could pick up a 10lber dog, and get herself and pup in a cab to take to a vet in case of emergency.

Also the dog could go into a purse carrier.

When I broke my leg, I had already agreed to babysit a young BRT who at six months old and about 70lbs was a young and active boy. He came to us for what was to be one week and ended up about one month of time.

He got crate trained very fast, and all the dogs and cats slept with me in the garden room which was on a level that had no stairs. Magic pulled me in my wheelchair (learnt that in about 20 minutes). All the dogs knew not to jump up on Mom's bed. I "exercised them one at a time - by throwing a ball from my bed out into the back yard.

I of course rotated the dogs in and out of crates, until Rufus had settled into our home.

I had a dog walker come in about 4 days a week for a nice walk for all. And hubby did evening walks.

I also had 2-3 back up emergency help folks if I needed to get any dog to the vet FAST.

All this to say that with planning almost anything can be surmounted.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!