View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen in nj View Post
wanted to adopt my last puppy Pinky.. At first they seem like a great family for my puppy, she is very small, charting at only about 9 pounds fully grown,so I been super careful with the applications I had for her, this lady called me the day after Christmas looking to buy a puppy, I told her that Pinky is the only puppy I had left and and that I was expecting a litter of smaller yorkies in about feb or march, she wanted a silky because the wanted a little bigger dog than a yorkie, so we set an apt, she told me that she did not drive if I can come to her home, she lives about 5 towns away from me, so I agree to come yesterday since hubby was going to be home and could come with me, so when we arrived, we saw a beautiful home, well manicured and lovely, so we rang the bell and a lady in oxygen and with a walker answer the door , she said she was expecting us, so I asked her name and yes she was the lady, after talking for 10 minutes I knew that a puppy was going to be too much for her, specially one of my puppies that are so ramboucios , alert and active, they keep ME in my toes , I can't imagine her, dealing with a small puppy, I asked her if she had help during the day she said she had a nurse that came to help her with her meds a couple of hours a day, other than that she was alone all day,while her husband worked, then I suggested a rescue older dog to give her company, she told us that she was denied because of her condition from all the rescues in the metro NYC and NJ area, so sad, she did understand that I did not want to risk her not being able to keep up with the puppy, I felt so BAD, I still feel bad but I really do not think she can keep up with a young pup and I don't have any older dog I can adopt her at this point.. I hope I did the right thing, why do this shelter and rescues do not consider this type of people, I am sure an older dog will be VERY happy in this home, and it would help her immensely. she told me she just gave up and will be happy being around her sister's dog instead, so sad...
I'll bet she can find an older, slower dog at the local "pound" and save a life, to boot. If nothing else, her husband could get the dog for her. She would probably dote on a dog in her condition - probably all she has to brighten her day would be a sweet doggie. But a puppy would likely do her in. Tibbe was 9 mos. old when I got him but he nearly killed me that first 3 weeks as he was totally wild. And I wasn't ill -I was just having the hip problem with a chronic back, nothing to do with breathing, oxygen, walkers, lots of meds, etc. I think you did the right thing for the lady and the dog. Often people want things they just can't handle or deal with but they can't see it themselves. But if you rely on a walker to get about, you can't really safely have a puppy in the home - not really. They get themselves into too many iffy situations you need to be able to move quickly and take decisive action and also don't need a dog if you can't get it to the vet in an emergency situation. But maybe she has a neighbor who never goes out or something to drive her.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!