View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
I dont know which end would be the end to attack from....the pet store, the consumer that is more than happy to purchase one of these babies because of the instant gratification of walking in looking for a puppy, and walking out with one. I have had no less than 15 people call me in just the last week, looking for a puppy for Christmas. Not interested in finding a reputable breeder, just wanting a baby NOW.....not interested in, WHAT?!!!! WAITING LIST?????!!!!!! OMG!!!!!! NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING!!!! NO, THANK YOU, I NEED THIS BABY TO GIVE AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT, IN LESS THAN A WEEK!!!! Now.........really.........hopw much thought has gone into this purchase? How educated are these people about puppies in general, Yorkies in paticular? I try to educate these people, but they are not interested in my efforts......I even had a lady tell me, "UI am having a terrible time finding a Yorkie....these dogs must be flying off the shelves! This is probably a wonderful time of year for YOU! If you had enoiugh puppies, you could finance your entire next year!" I told her, "NO....and I deliberately do not sell dogs during Christmas, except to people that have been on a waiting list for one, have been approved as new owners, and were not coming looking for a puppy as a Christmas gift....it just worked out with the breeding and the delivery that they end up getting a baby near Christmas.".....she could care less about what I think, she could care less about any breeder that has integrity and a reputation...all she wants is a puppy....and then when that puppy gets sick and dies on her in a couple of months, suddenly she wants a breeder that stands by her puppies, etc..... So, until consumers know NOT to buy from pet stores and puppy mills, trhey will continue to flourish. Supply and demand....when demand goes away, so does the supply....
I know what you are saying and agree. But the fact is that the general public, for the most part, have been trained by these very public pet stores and the internet to expect instant gratification. They are given false information about the breeding. People think that you just put any 2 purebreds together and get perfect results. Most of these places can put in an order for a puppy and have it within a week because the puppy mills have enough dogs incarcerated cranking out pups like a toy factory.
There are very few areas that have information available about real professional, reputable, purebred breeders.
Sometimes people feel offended by talk like this. It is not an attack against the dogs. It is about the cruel and inhuman treatment of puppy mill breeder dogs and the huge amount of sick and genetically injured puppies being cranked out by these places.
I know about such things because I had many family members involved in the local AKC sanctioned conformation, obedience and agility clubs. We always knew someone who knew someone who was ethically breeding whatever breed we wanted. Apparently this kind of information is not widely available to the public.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!