View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Lolasmom1211
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love my little View Post
Hi I am new to the site, my husband and myself bought ourselves this little tea cup yorkie that has taken over our hearts. We bought him last Sunday on Thursday he started to get real lazy and would eat. We know early in the morning something was not right. We took him to a emergency clinic and we were told that he was suffering from low sugars, they kept him over night and said that his sugars were back up and sent us home with nutri cal to give him and told us to forse feed him,, I stayed up all night and faithfully fed him every 2 hours, by 4 am he couldn't stand up so we knew again something was wrong. When we went back to the emergency clinic at 5 his sugars were back to 22 again. So again he was put on Iv and has been there for 2 night still not eating on his own. The vet called last night wanting to run more test when he called us back he told us that he has liver shunt. And we should have him operated on. We are just worried about what kind and quality of life that lite guy would have....if anyone have any thought about this we would love to hear from you

Thanks again
I have just seen your post in the last few minutes. You are telling the same story that I had with my little Lola. I brought her home and I was told she was about 11 weeks - I now don't really know how old she was. Anyway, she did exactly the same thing. She would not eat, she was very sleepy and was hard to wake up. They kept her n the Emergency Hospital for 2-3 nights and kept her on IV's and blamed it on hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. I, too, brought her home and got up and fed her every 2 hours. Lola survived but never seemed to want to eat. It was always a struggle. She was never very active and her hair would not grow. I kept asking the vet to test her for liver shunt and the vet refused saying she was growing and she did not have any neurological symptoms. Finally, when I took her in to have her spayed, they did pre-op blood work and her liver values were off and they did a Bile Acid test and she did have a shunt. I immediately started to research liver shunts on the internet and Dr. Tobias and University of Tennesee kept popping up over and over. My vet in Texas wanted to perform an ultrasound to confirm the shunt, but I read that it was not always conclusive and rather expensive. Lola had stolen my heart and I knew I would do whatever I had to do to save her. I called Dr. Tobias at UT and they told me that it would be about $1800.00 to do a scintigraphy (more conclusive test for liver shunts), liver shunt repair, spay, and remove her baby teeth. This was 4 years ago and I'm sure the price has gone up, but it was much cheaper for me to fly to TN, stay in a hotel and have the surgery done there by the best people and fly home than to have the surgery done anywhere close to my home! Lola had the surgery done 4 years ago and she has not had a problem since. She runs and plays and is the boss of the house. Her hair has grown to the floor and she is the most perfectly healthy little thing you have ever seen. The surgery saved her life and she had no side effects from the surgery and it was relatively pain free afterwards. If the shunt is operable, it's the best, best thing you can do for your baby! Good luck and I'm here to answer any of your questions if you need me.
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!