View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default Helping a friend buy a Havanese pup/dog

What an exciting time this is. About six weeks ago my friend who knows I breed, asked me to help her find a good reputable Havanese breeder.

She was open to rescues, and filled in the form, but there is no Havanese to be had in a rescue here.

So I really do feel for first time buyers, trying to negotiate the mires of finding a good breeder.

The first step I did, was to go to the National Havenese dog clubs in both Canada and USA. I must say I was very impressed with ALL the health testing that they recommend be done for their breed.

I reviewed the standard and at the next dog show, went in search of some breeders and some referrals to good Canadian breeders.

I also contacted a breeder friend of mine in the States who breds Hav's and BRT's I asked him for a referral to a Cdn breeder, along the way in our emails he mentioned that he had a Hav female they held back for show, but they just determined they won't go ahead with her in the show ring - she grew a little too large at 12-13 lbs.

Well we visited a good Cdn breeder a couple of wkends ago; and she had two puppies in the Xpen. I could see Betty's eyes light up, and I knew we were in trouble if either one of those pups were available. I thought to myself oh no.... We will never get through the interview. The breeders husband showed us in, and chatted for a bit while his wife finished up the phone call.

Want to guess the first question out of Betty's mouth???? LOL LOL right are either of these two pups available. Sadly for Betty they weren't....

So I was glad that we could get into the actual interview. The woman was very lovely, answered all our questions, BUT, she would not be having another litter until late summer or early fall. They were on their way to Fla with their dogs for the winter!

Back to searching again..... And Betty is getting tired of going through the websites I've flagged as good. She says well Gail - your USA friend has Caroline - remember her? Is he a good breeder? Gosh - well I said let me look at what he does in terms of health for the Havanese.

So now we are at the Contract for Sale part. I finally get to "see" Caroline's parents - good news both sides CHIC'd - great results from both vertical and Horizontal pedigree! Very good news.

For me in that contract there are a couple of sore points. I explain how I feel clearly to Betty - and she wants to go ahead. I say look, there is no harm in asking for this paragraph to be modified. See what he says.

Betty tells me that her vet told her contracts are all well and good, but truly the health of a dog doesn't become clear until way later on in their life. Huh? Hip and elbow dysplasia evidence early, as does LP and Liver Shunt(usually).

So I said to Betty - with all due respect to your vet - the above are clear fairly early on in a dogs life. PRA can show up after 5yrs old - and David clearly tests at 5+yrs old and earlier for this condition. Cancer can happen at any age.

Betty will "do as I ask" - although she told me left to her own devices she would just sign the contract based on what her vet said.......

I said Betty - my role here is not to tell you what to do, but to help you go into this purchase with your "eyes wide open".

The clause of most concern to me was the one that said if the dog suffered from any of the following genetic conditions, it could be returned to them, and another companion dog offered as a replacement. They also delineated the severity of certain conditions - which I felt were too much biased to the seller and not the purchaser.

This is the clause that is up " I hope for change".

Betty has told me, that despite what "I told her" that I do, and many other breeders do, that she would never give up her dog for any medical condition - so the clause doesn't concern her.

And btw, I will be the one picking up the dog at the Chicago show in Feb. She will be flying home with me.

I have told Betty that before I leave with the dog, she will be gone over by several experts. There is an opportunity if she so wishes to have the dog examined by a vet at the show. This would be prior to my leaving the States. She is mulling over that one now

So it has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me and more so for Betty. Betty has already bonded with this young lass through all the pics and videos of her.

Oh yes another hurdle overcome; I told Betty that she should ask the breeder to spay the female prior to her coming home. This means the breeder takes the surgical risk in hand. I also said to confirm with the breeder that a full pre op blood screen should be done.

So what is the moral of this story? LOL I'm not too sure. It is a very exciting time for sure for all.

I just hope little Caroline passes all her screening tests - I don't want to navigate through that minefield if she doesn't! We are having testing done for heart, patella, hearing, eyes. To come will be HD and ED.

Wish us luck - well wish Betty good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!