View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
navillusc
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnessStout View Post
No you are not projecting it...

New research suggests...
I always get such a kick out of "scientists" that seek to prove what many of us "ordinary folk" have observed for eons of generations, then label it "new research" for publication of THEIR "findings"...lol I couldn't call, without lying, what I've witnessed "new" at all if I was to publish it because I have been observing animals since I've been on the Earth. lol

I have to agree...animals are not "stupid" as they have been labeled at times per my experience. Some may be...just like some humans I have known and loved, and been in traffic with...but in my experiences with animals, I have seen them make such positive efforts to communicate their wishes including duplicating verbiage...words, be reasonable...and NOT so reasonable...grieve, express friendship, sympathy, and genuine love, etc. My experience indicates they have long memories, too. I'd love to chalk it up to my imagination, but...alas...while I am at least somewhat imaginative, I do NOT believe that I am THAT imaginative. roflmao

I expect there are situations that are completely "pack" oriented...like we humans exhibit at sporting events and/or music concerts, but I also believe that not all situations can be explained by "pack" mentality.

Mia has never acted as OP describes Fletcher acting, but Brody sometimes is very 'pushy' about getting attention and having things 'his' way. My little Yorkie-Poo would "snub" me...literally put his little black nose in the air, and slowly closing his eyes turn his face up and away at a rotating angle away from my direction, peeking out of the corner of his eye occasionally to check to see if I was still looking, and if I was, would clamp that eye closed and re-do the "snub" until he finally 'got over it' or I quit paying attention...and hilariously laughing.

My Shep/Lab was trained to voice commands and hand signals, and started losing her hearing...or so I thought, until she was looking directly at me when I gave her a "sit" signal and she quickly jerked her head up and away as if to say she did not hear or see that command. She repeated the behavior, too...but she obviously wasn't blind...lol I think she quit 'cuz she realized she was BUSTED 'cuz we were laughing soooo hard she knew the jig was up!

It could just be that if they exhibit what we consider/call 'childish' behavior and we respond as if they WERE a child...perhaps by becoming flustered, or giving in, reinforcing that their behavior 'worked'...or maybe, by ignoring the behavior, calmly just relocating them to a 'safe place' or a time out...whatever, but some behavior that clearly shows them that their actions will NOT have the desired result, they will learn/quit...like a child in a tantrum. At least, that has been my experience with many different animals...dogs and even some cats.

As I said, Brody has acted similarly...just barking...not peeing on me, but so far only when I was preparing him and Mia a snack or treat, when he occasionally, impatiently, barks incessantly in an apparent attempt 'to hurry me up' or something. The last time he did that, I removed him from the room and closed the door...a glass bi-fold...to signal him that I would not allow him to bark at me while I cut chicken up for him...I also postponed delivery of the treat until he'd settled down.

You may have to experiment a little...and maybe with more than one 'gentle correction' to get him to realize his efforts are futile.

Good Luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!