View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
gontygirl
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by celstu1 View Post
My Fletcher is being a little brat lately. He has a new habit and I am not sure what to do. Whenever I am talking on the phone or talking to anyone while I'm standing up in the house, he will bark at us. He will bark non-stop for attention when I'm giving my attention to someone else. If I'm sitting down talking he's fine because he'll sit on my lap. I tell him 'NO!' but he walks away all sad with his tail between his legs, like I hurt his feelings or kicked him. I mean he stops but it breaks my heart. He also does it when I'm doing dishes, folding laundry, cleaning the bathroom, anything really that takes my attention away from him.

He wants my attention, and he has even gone as far as to lift a leg on me when there are too many people standing and talking and I'm involved. Like he's marking me. Luckily its been a long time since he's done that, but I have a VERY jealous Yorkie.

Any suggestions on how I can positively stop this behavior without making him sad? I hate seeing him slink away with his tail between his legs... he's a very sensitive little guy, always fearful of something. I do not want him fearful of me at all, or my husband, by speaking firmly to him.
Hi there. I have a good suggestion, but I don't want to be too pushy. Quite honestly you do have a dog that is trying to be in a leadership position. This behavior is also extending to further than your family... He's using that "sensitive little guy" routine to control you. The fact of the matter is dogs do not get their feelings hurt. We humans tend to humanize our canines because we IMAGINE that we are affecting their "FEELINGS", when dogs don't have human brains and thought processess like we do. They live in the moment, which is why we can "teach an old dog new tricks"! At this new moment you should want to decide to take the burden (and it IS a burden...make no mistake) off of his shoulders and assume the alfa posititon. Decide today that you are in the lead and he needs to FALL IN LINE as he'll be happy to do. Dogs live in a social society of a PECKING ORDER, someone has to be on the top and then the trickle effect is who's in the middle and bottom. That's what it is to be a canine. The bottom (or beta) isn't "feeling" sad or depressed... or having feelings of low self esteem. These positions are a job well earned and to be worthy and proud of. In the animal world if you're not accepted...you get cast out. Being part of a social group/family is TERRIFIC! That's the good news. The bad news (perhaps...) is that it's YOUR JOB to lead. To be Alpha. It's an honour and a privilage. Your dog needs you to take the reins...so he can fall in line and relax and know everything is taken care of. He'll be happier.

When he barks say "NO!" or "No barking!" in a strong loud voice. It's an unpleasant behavior he's displaying which required an unpleasant and equally loud reaction from you. Put him in a "sit/down". It's not necessary to say "good boy" once he reacts to his down. He will only test you and begin to bark again. It will take longer at first if you do. Save the "good boy" for when he's been listening for a while.. He has to learn his place within your "pack". It won't hurt his feelings...it's merely giving him bounderies as you should with your dog. Good luck. Hope I've helped and not been too pushy... :P

Last edited by gontygirl; 12-11-2012 at 07:19 AM.
gontygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!