View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
gontygirl
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
I don't think 4 to 5 hours in a proper crate is abusive. Are you using a crate that is big enough for him to sit up and turn around in? I think 4 to 5 hours is the maximum you want to leave a dog in a small crate. Since you don't confine him very often it the crate it should be alright.

So let me get this right....your dog barks all the time despite the fact he is not confined? Does he bark when you are with him? Are you letting him out into your home so he can be with you and interact with you and the home? He will never learn social skills if he is not learning how to behave in the household. Maybe I did not understand your post correctly. It just does not make sense for a dog to bark all the time if he is not confined.
Hi, yes his crate is very cozy and sized perfectly for his height and length. He does not bark unless I leave the room, crated or not. He's very attached to me already so he's happy as a lark when he's with me. I must admit that he'll not bark in the company of my family or friends either. The barking is when I leave him alone or crated. He's getting quite used to managing on his own when crated and left alone...we're working on it as it's very hard to want to leave him alone (and when I say alone he's in the bedroom with my Shih tsu mix, the tv on and a lamp on (if it's night time). He is crated at those times. He is always with us socializing, playing, in training time, out and about in boutiques (xmas shopping...). His issues lie with being left alone, which has been 2 times so far for no longer than a total time of 5 hours. Yesterday I did go xmas shopping solo and left him for 5 hours, although my daughter got home before I did and took him out to potty with my other dog...I believe an hour or so before I arrived home. No worries about his "lifestyle", he's a very busy boy with lots to do, not to mention training all the time (positive reinforcement) and more love than he can probably stand LOL. Thanks for your concern...
gontygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!