View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #55
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
I don't agree with what he did, but I just don't see how it is so much different than his other "training" methods. I'd bet most supporters on YT would have a big problem if Cesar came to their house and started treating their dogs how he treats the ones on tv. It is always written off as, "oh, he didn't kick the dog. He tapped it", "Static mats are find for big dogs", "It is ok that he does xyz because that dog was big/bad, etc.", "It is ok that a dog was overworked to the extreme on his property because he wasn't there". I could train like this, make soe dogs "submit", and get big bucks too.

I know he is thought of as a large breed trainer. i wouldn't let him touch any large breed dog of mine with a ten foot pole. Him putting himself in that position to get bitten needlessly shows me that he has no clue what he is doing. That is not how to train a dog. He could have kept himself safe, dropped the dominance attitude, and actually worked with the dog. I don't believe in positive reinforcement being used 100% of the time. I have no problem saying "no". But to try and dominate an aggressive dog...you will get hurt. And it doesn't matter how much control you think you have over an aggressive dog just because of your "calm energy". A history of fear aggression means it will likely happen again - and dominant or not that dog is probably stronger than you. It is ridiculous to put oneself in that much danger on purpose.
10000% agree. I used to be one of those people. "Oh, that dog NEEDED that." etc etc.

Now when I watch him, knowing a lot more about dog training and dogs in general than I did two-three years ago, it makes me ill.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!