View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
Belle Noir
YT Addict

I don't agree wit buying pet store puppies, not because the puppies come from puppy mills, but because they MIGHT come from puppy mills.
The fact is smaller pet stores do get puppies from people while not exactly reputable, are not producing defective degenerate dogs. A number of the smaller pet stores are buying puppies either from their own breeders, or from people that brought the puppies in to them.
I know this, because I have seen it happen in several small stores over the years. Not that it makes it OK. If they're not testing their dogs for genetic issues and so forth, the only thing they have over the puppy mill puppies is that they were born and raised in the house.. maybe.

I do think though, some people get hysterical over the situation. Let's be frank here. If this is a money endeavor to some, don't you think they would eek out every last penny they can? And after the bitches stop producing, and the studs go sterile from brucellosis.. don't you think they would try to get one more dollar and sell the dogs themselves?
I know for a fact that there are shelters that go the dog auctions and buy out the unwanted brood stock. I also know for a fact that in some areas, spay/neuter is so effective, that shelters have taken to importing dogs from other areas of the nation, and also from OUTSIDE of the nation to supply the demand for dogs, and one type of dog is always in demand in certain areas... Small dogs.

Yes, some of the parents of these dogs are killed by various means. Sadly, it is legal for these people to shoot their own dogs. At least it is in PA (east coast puppy mill center of the USA). And that's considered an acceptable form of euthanasia. But again, I feel if people think about it, it profits these people more to sell even their burnt out brood stock.

Not that I am for puppy milling, I think it's horrible, but I think that people should just try to be a bit rational when it comes to this very emotional subject. Puppies that come from puppy mills are not bred or born into the best conditions. This is not to say they are all genetically defective dogs, it's just that someone paid a premium price for an inferior product.
Pet stores do not want to sell you unhealthy puppies, puppy mills do not want to sell unhealthy puppies. This cuts into the profit margin of all the people involved. YES it happens, and it's terrible. Sometimes it happens with such frequency with stock from a particular supplier or a particular store enough to draw media and legal attention.
But on the whole thousands of people buy thousands of puppies from thousands of pet stores throughout the country, and the number of them with complaints about the conditions of their puppies are miniscule compared to the numbers being sold.

I wish you luck with your puppy, I hope that she stays healthy and happy. Please do your research and learn what you need to learn to help keep her healthy, particularly about liver shunt.
Don't feel bad that you bought your puppy where you did. It happens. Just move on from it, love your puppy, and maybe next time, you'll buy from a legitimate source.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!