View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #34
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Here is the thread with the video with Holly ... anyone watch this and tell me they are not sickened. http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/gen...own-holly.html If someone approached me in a domineering, intimidating manner and I asked them again and again and again to get out of my face and they ignored me, kept coming at me, and backed me into a corner, would I be explosive if I shoved them away from me? It's not the dog's fault... we as humans can explain through words, and can shove, or hit. For a dog a hit or a shove is a bite. That dog showed incredible patience and gave plenty of warning signs.

Here is a great link: The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour was so concerned with the rampant 'dominance' beliefs they put this statement out http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonli...0statement.pdf

Some other great reads: Wolf Status and Dominance in Packs -Alpha Status
Why you should forget the idea of dominance/pack theory as relates to you and your dog. Also why punishing bad behaviour is often worse than doing nothing. (as promised) : dogs

My issue with Cesar is not that he has had no "training". I could care less. Some of my favorite trainers have had no 'schooling' in dog training. Keep in mind, I'm somewhat of a 'crossover' as I used to defend Cesar to no end. I'm so glad I opened my eyes. If anyone EVER touched my dog the way he does to dogs, they'd have their face kicked in by me. Jackson is one of the most well behaved dogs that I know, and yes I'm biased, lol, but it's true, he really is. His biggest issue is he will alert bark when someone new walks in the door. He stops when I tell him 'enough'. If Cesar walked in my door, and started 'cshh'ing and poking him, Jackson would completely have a breakdown and probably never trust people again. All it takes it for the new person to walk in, let them sniff his hand, maybe give him a treat, I let him know it's okay and all is well with the world. It breaks my heart to see how the dogs will cower into 'submission' and it makes me think if MY dog was in that situation.

Cesar torments dogs .... he gets them into defensive behavior, agitates them on purpose to push them past their limit, and then hurts them for it (gets them into trouble). The psychological damage he causes dogs is ridiculous. They live in a constant state of worry, stress and helplessness. Chronic stress, as most know, does a lot of harm to living beings both physiologically and psychologically ... raises blood pressure, respiration rate, and heart rate, increases cortisol levels and adrenalin, among other physically damaging things when they're so high and constant. He literally knows nothing about dog behavior and goes on and on about how 'dominant' a dog is without paying any attention the signs a dog is giving us. I can't believe that at one time I was so blind to not see it while watching his show. REALLY learn about dog behavior - read and study up on canine body language and then watch Cesar's show ... even better... watch it in silence! Watch the dogs body language when interacting with Cesar.

Yes I love that he preaches exercise and being calm. But honestly? That's about it these days. After seeing the Holly video, which is a recent video, I was totally done with him. It's very odd to me because he does truly seem to love dogs, but it's like his pride and ego can't get in the way and say 'I was wrong' and try to listen to the current SCIENCE of dog training. He's got to have this macho domineering image. Just let it go, dude.

I really like this video as well: Why Cesar Millan is Yesterday's Dog Trainer - YouTube

Last edited by Britster; 11-17-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!