View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisareli View Post
When I first set my heart on getting a Yorkie puppy I wanted a "toy" Yorkie but a friend of mine that works at a veterinary told me NOT NOT NOT to get one because those were more likely to get sick because they're more fragile. So I took her advise and got a regular one bit was still hopefully she'd only grow 5-6lbs full grown. It's not looking that way now but we already love her so much!!
You're friend is misinformed. The Yorkshire Terrier does not have different size classes like a poodle. In fact, I think the poodle might be the only one to have miniature, toy, and standard to define sizes. I'm not a doggy expert, but I know yorkies. Anyway, according to the YTCA, the ones who set the standard for the Yorkshire Terrier, there is only one yorkie. 3lbs, 6lbs, 12 lbs, or 20lbs, does not make a lick of difference. They're all yorkies as long as their pedigrees show no mixing. There are no size categories at all! However, the YTCA does set a standard for SHOW yorkies, or what people breeding should look for when developing their lines. The standard, from the YTCA website says the following about size:
Quote:
Weight
Must not exceed seven pounds.
that can be found here: Yorkshire Terrier Club of America

Just know there are more to yorkies than just the size. I'm sure your baby is absolutely wonderful no matter how big or small she ends up being. They sure know how to bring happiness in our lives.

I hope this was helpful!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!