Thread: Mite dip
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #15
Prissikitty
Yorkie Yakker

Hi, about the Ivermectin used as cream. We bought the stuff that is used for worming horses. We had used it also as wormer for the big dogs. As far as using it as a cream, it is a cream right out of the tube. The end of the tube has a sort of clicker thingy that is used to measure the doses. I just clicked out enough to apply on her affected areas, and rubbed it around.

As far as it being toxic, my vet assured me that it would not hurt her even if she licked it off. I knew this for sure as well, because I had a friend that also bred German Shepherds and one of her little boys fed a whole tube to a puppy and it had no affects whatsoever. Well, probably was well sormed, but did not get sick or have any side affects.

I would definitely ask your vet before doing this, but IMHO it is safer then the toxic dips they put them through. But I would still check with your vet first.

I did alot of research before deciding to spay Tessa after her bout with Demodec. I read that all dogs have the mite, in small numbers, just like people has some sort of mite too ( I know, disgusting) Dogs with their immune systems not right or under stress seem to have a reaction that causes the mites to multiply at an alarming rate. It may or may not be something that is passed on, but since Tessa's mom had also had it before we got her, I decided not to take the chance. Plus, if it is caused by stress as well, what is more stressing then going through a heat cycle and being bred, whelping, raising puppies? In fact Tessa's problem with Demodec came shortly after her first heat cycle. Plus the show ring can be very stressful as well. I don't regret having her spayed, but sometimes, even at her old age, I wonder how she would have done in the ring, she really is that nice. But oh well, we did what was best for her at the time.
Prissikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!