Thread: Mite dip
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 06:29 PM   #14
whispersmom2
Inactive Account

Demodectic mange is transferred to puppies from their mother while still in the whelping box. All animals carry mites to some degree. Stress, immunosuppressed animals, sick animals can all show symptoms. Lyme dip is one treatment; pyrethrins another. Ivermectin is used off label for several kinds of mange mites. Many large cattle species have to be treated const.
Sarcoptic mange is the one that can affect humans but usually is breed specific. Ivermectin-the active ingredient in Heartgard- is a treatment and is sometimes used as a topical but mostly given internally or by shot. It must be given in a larger dose 2 times with a 2 week rest between.
I personally would not put my Yorkies thru those dips, at least not the dips I have seen. The pups' skin turned red and they cried
I am interested in the post about putting the Ivermectin on as a creme. Would you post how you judged the dose and how you mixed it into a creme. I know it is used ON many cattle species in much larger doses, but don't know about dogs.
THANX
whispersmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!