Thread: Mite dip
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #13
yorkiemom1970
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn218
My Shih-tzu had Demodex mange and one of the meds with Ivomec (sp?) which is some sort of cattle med. Anyway, it was a really potent drug with magor side effects....blindness, death, etc.

He was finally put to sleep...the poor baby....he never had a chance. The vet also told me that was passed from his mother and that he knew the breeder (which the breeder said she had bought him to breed, so it wasn't hers). Anyway, I only paid $175 for the guy and I got $75 back because I had taken him to the vet that day, but I wanted to keep him because I thought I could help him....anyways, he had two good years in a loving home where he roamed free (not caged all day) and had the best medical care I could give him.

I too had him neutered and such.....I think in the time (I can't remember how many months old he was when we got him, but it was older) we had him, we spent over $2500 on him......I do not regret one minute of it!

After he was gone, we threw away all of his bedding, toys, etc....I didn't know if it could be passed on (didn't have any other pets at the time) and we have sinced moved. I don't remember if it is contagious or not. I didn't want to take chances then.

Mites can be a serious problem....I hate to see furbabies go through this...I know what you all are going through and I truly feel for you.

You all and your furbabies are in my thoughts and prayers.

so sorry to hear that. I have heard that mange can even be spread to us. My friend that I used to work with at the vet still works in veterinary care to this day. She was treating a little chi that had it. She got it on her arm and had to be treated herself. There are two types of mange mites from my understanding. I need to research more to determine which one is indeed contagious to us as well. If anyone has this info, I'd love to know!
yorkiemom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!