View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz06 View Post
Thanks for the information! We have thought for a long time that our vet really likes to run tests and do a lot of extra things that cost a lot of money. And we have lost a lot of trust with her because of many things that have been misdiagnosed with Layla. I can't blame her for Layla's paralysis, but she did tell us there was no use taking her to emergency when we first realized she had a problem (and she was still walking at that point), and to just keep her at home for the night and bring her in for a day of observation at her clinic the next day. Even after she lost use of her legs in the middle of the night, the vet wanted us to bring her back in the morning. I trusted her too much - she was sure it was something else. But I am pretty sure that Layla would still be walking today if I followed my gut instinct and had drove to the city in the middle of the night to take her in to emergency at the university vet hospital. This vet also misdiagnosed a bladder infection earlier this year, ran a variety of tests that cost almost triple what we later paid at the university when the infection was getting really serious.

Anyways, we had decided we'll take Layla to the university vet clinic for any of her care, and we'd just go to our local vet for vaccinations. I guess that is a money grab too!
Oh, man. It's always such a shame. You should be able to trust ALL vets but unfortunately you can't. I guess it's like doctors. There are really good ones and really bad ones and everything in between. Going with your gut is often best! I also had an experience that, looking back in hindsight, I am certain I was very much ripped off, but when your dog is sick and not feeling well... you just want to do what they tell you, and don't ask questions (at least that's how I was).

I still can't believe what happened to Layla - you guys are such awesome pet parents though! You've given her a CHANCE and an amazing life, and it sounds like she's doing pretty great otherwise.

I'm glad she's pretty much back to normal.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!