View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz06 View Post
Thank you Britster! I am going to read through all of your links.

We are in Canada, so I'm not sure if the standard protocol is different, but I do really agree that animals are overvaccinated. The DHPP + CV is given annually by my vet, and that is multiple vaccines in one. I don't think I will have them get it yearly anymore. They are inside dogs and are very rarely around any other dogs. Most of their exercise comes from just running around our own house or back yard. I think that for the most part, their chances of getting most viruses to begin with is pretty low.
Wow! They definitely don't need any more vaccines. I'm obviously no vet, and you have to do what you feel is right. But yes you are way over-vaccinating.

AAHA hospitals are also in Canada. There is also a CVMA (Canadian Vet Medical Association).

Vets make a lot of money off vaccines plain and simple. If they are vaccinating yearly, it is for their benefit - not our pets.

Quote:
Consider this… One dose of rabies vaccine costs the vet about 61 cents. The client is typically charged between $15 and $38, plus a $35 office visit. The markup on the vaccine alone is 2,400 percent to 6,200 percent—a markup equivalent to charging $217 for a loaf of bread. According to one estimate, removing the one-year rabies vaccination and consequential office visit for dogs alone would decrease the average small vet’s income from $87,000 to $25,000—and this doesn’t include cats or other vaccinations.

According to James Schwartz, author of Trust Me, I’m Not a Veterinarian, 63 percent of canine and 70 percent of feline vet office visits are for vaccinations. Clearly, radically changing the vaccine schedule for dogs and cats would result in a huge economic loss for any veterinary practice that is built around shots. And chances are the vaccines you are paying so much for are creating even more income for vets, because the adverse reactions and other medical issues caused by the vaccines keep Fluffy coming back often!

Veterinary vaccine sales amounted to more than $3.2 million in 2004 and have risen 7 percent per year since 2000. This figure is projected to exceed $4 billion in 2009. Six companies account for more than 70percent of world veterinary vaccine sales. The market leader is Intervet, with sales of almost $600 million in 2004. That’s a whole lot of 61-cent vaccines. The United States has by far the largest share of the national market with revenues of $935 million, and Japan comes in second with $236 million.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!