View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
linz06
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Vaccines and diarrhea?

Layla got diarrhea last night (Wednesday night) and I'm wondering if it could have some connection to the vaccines she got Tuesday night.

On Tuesday we took all three dogs in for booster shots. The ones Layla got were rabies and DHPP. THe other two dogs are fine (except some tenderness in Kash's back leg area, which could just be sore from the shots because he got one in each side).

Layla stayed at my grandma's house yesterday while we were at work and there were no accidents. My grandma is away on holidays and Layla couldn't have gotten into anything, so I know she didn't eat anything while she was there. After work she had a good pee and lots of poop but it was good and solid.

Last night she pooped again in the house and it was very soft but still formed. (for those who don't know, she is paraplegic and can't feel herself poop so it's not out of character - but we do express it and normally she doesn't go in between expressings). While I was upstairs an hour or so later, my husband came up and said she had a pool of diarrhea, and when he picked her up it squirted out of her butt onto the wall He cleaned it all up. That was around 10:00. He tried expressing her and got some pee out but she was just really gassy.

At midnight we got up and she had a trail of liquid poop from our bedroom to the bathroom. He showered her off, I cleaned up the trail. At 2:00 again, we had to clean her, and the floor. Then again at 4:00. Then we got up at 6 and she seemed better, but then at 6:30 again, the trail of poop

I fed her plain rice this morning, and I went to the store for a can of 100%pumpkin and gave her about a tablespoon full - she gobbled it up! I am working from home today so I can be with her and keep her clean if needed. She does not seem lethargic today - she is sure barking at her brother and sister when they try to get attention! Oh, but I can't get her to pee. She hasn't gone since last night but there is nothing in her bladder. She has water right in front of her - should I force her to drink? I worry about dehydration with all the diarrhea.

Do you guys think this could be a side effect of one of the vaccines? She has never had a reaction like this before, so that's why I wonder. There was nothing else she could get into though. The first soft poop started almost exactly 24 hours after her shots.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!