View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Prayers for your health. I aggree if you want to bond with your Yorkie food is important. Try hand feeding. Play time is super important too. Invent a game only you play with him, it may include a special toy. Grooming time is also a bonding time.
Play Time

#
Play is a form of bonding. Why does my dog always try to get me to play ? Because you give in. You must start and end together play time. She can play all she wants by herself but, she should not whine or guilt, you into playing with her. You must teach her a new cue word, like Enough, ( or what ever you want to use.) Promise yourself, now and forever when I say Enough it means No, Stop it right now, I am busy, entertain your self, forget it, maybe later and I am the Mommy and I mean it. etc... Enough is Enough. Start today, do not give in. Give the cue word Enough. If she is too annoying with her demands, take the toy and put it out of reach and out of sight. If you give in one time, you have to start all over with the retraining again. Even if you want to play with her. Don't let her start the game. Say the cue word Enough. Now go to the kitchen, bathroom or yawn etc. Make sure there is at least a 30 second delay. You start play time with a clap and say the cue for play time, we use, dogs name and cue PlayTime in a happy voice. When you are done playing praise your dog. Like Good Girl give her a pet. Cue with a happy, That's Enough. Have a routine that you do that says play time is over. Put the toy in her toy box or up some where and end the game on a happy note. If your dog always has to ask for play time, please set aside a special routine time to play, even if it is only 5 minuets. All adult animals instigate play. It is a form of bonding. You should play with your dog every day. Playing together should be when you can enjoy it, not because she is bugging you.

Last edited by Teresa Ford; 10-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Teresa Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!