Thread: Mite dip
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
Prissikitty
Yorkie Yakker

I had a young German Shepherd female that got Demodectic mange. I had been traveling and my husband waited for me to get home to have her looked at. I was so annoyed. The vet kept her overnight and did a dip, then wanted to give her Ivermecten shots, which were quite expencive. I asked him if he had ever tried Ivermectin topically , and he told me that he had not, but it was worth a try. I told him to give me a few days a lets see how it worked. If she got worse or had a reaction I could bring her right back. He told me that the Ivermectin could not be as bad as the dip on her skin.

Well, that is what we did and she got better very quickly. When I took her in for a check up a few days later, my vet was amazed. I just put the stuff on like a cream on the affected areas, and the places healed and the hair grew back. It was a miracle.

I get so mad when I see on tv about animals affected with Demodec that have to be put to sleep. Tessa was really bad when I started and she got better.

Demodec can be caused by stress, I was told, so although she was supposed to be a show dog and later bred, we decided to have her spayed and just love her. In fact she is right here watching me type at the moment. She was just trying to ignore Lucy, my Yorkie, that was trying to get her to play. She is an old lady now and Lucy is a little pest. Lucy decided to go chase the cat, LOL
Prissikitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!